Thursday, February 23, 2012

Running Quotes


I was just going to post these running quotes and make this a simple blog post.  But, then I remembered something a couple of my sisters said to me about my posts recently.  They compared me to Dr. Doofenshmirtz from “Phineas and Ferb” because like the evil doctor I always add a back-story to my story.  So, here’s my back-story to this story…


As I was preparing to enter the Air Force back in 1999 I was recovering from a couple of years of newlywed/college diet—a lot of frozen burritos, meat pies, and ice cream.  I started what then seemed to be a vigorous running program, sometimes getting up to just above three miles.  The running, combined with a healthier diet, paid the desired dividends as I lost the weight necessary and entered the Air Force.  For the next eight years I ran on a regular basis increasing my distance to five miles and even once hitting eight miles.


A couple of years after I left the Air Force I still maintained what I considered a strong running program, often getting in three to five miles four or five days a week.  I was happy with my status as a very amateur runner.  In December 2010 I received the fateful phone call that continues to haunt (bless) my life.  My dad called and asked a question, a question that was very difficult to answer:

“Are you tough enough to run a marathon with me?”


He informed me that he was running in the Ogden Marathon coming up that May.  Despite common sense screaming in my head to say no, I acquiesced.  The training program kicked in right away.  My first run over ten miles, excuse the pun, was a milestone for me.  By the time I put in my first eighteen mile run I was pretty impressed with myself.


Now, two years later I’ve put in three marathons, three Ragnars, a couple of half marathons, and a few other races.  Currently I’m training for my fourth marathon and another Ragnar.  Most of the family, to include my wife, my father, my sisters, my cousins, and some friends are involved.  It’s been great.  It’s been painful. 

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"
- Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner


"Running long and hard is an ideal antidepressant, since it's hard to run and feel sorry for yourself at the same time. Also, there are those hours of clearheadedness that follow a long run."
-Monte Davis


"You also need to look back, not just at the people who are running behind you but especially at those who don't run and never will... those who run but don't race...those who started training for a race but didn't carry through...those who got to the starting line but didn't in the finish line...those who once raced better than you but no longer run at all. You're still here. Take pride in wherever you finish. Look at all the people you've outlasted."
- Joe Henderson


"When it's pouring rain and you're bowling along through the wet, there's satisfaction in knowing you're out there and the others aren't."
-Peter Snell


"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people."
-Bill Bowerman


"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness."
-Edward Stanley


"Many people shy away from hills. They make it easy on themselves, but that limits their improvement. The more you repeat something, the stronger you get."
- Joe Catalano


-       Clarence DeMar


-       John Bryant

To keep from decaying, to be a winner, the athlete must accept pain - not only accept it, but look for it, live with it, learn not to fear it.
- Dr. George Sheehan

The truth is that running hurts.
- Unknown

I can do even better
- John Landy
 
"To describe the agony of a marathon to someone who's never run it is like trying to explain color to someone who was born blind."
Jerome Drayton



No comments: