Friday, January 11, 2019

Glen the Angel





Last night, after a day of meetings in Salt Lake City, I ducked into the Deseret Book across from Temple Square to buy a few things for my wife.  With the cold, damp air of winter, it felt good to step inside the store.  I used the opportunity to make a quick call for work.  I walked to an area of the store away from most other patrons to avoid disturbing anyone.  As I was talking, a middle aged man in a dark overcoat and beanie approached me.  He appeared to be listening to something on his headphones.  

I walked away from him to continue my conversation.  When I turned around he was standing close again, looking at me.  As we made I
eye contact, he gave me a beautiful, innocent smile.  I smiled and nodded.  He walked away and I thought that was it.  When I wrapped up my conversation I went to look for the books I was sent to get.  This gentleman again walked right up to me.

Seeing that he wanted to talk, I turned to engage with him.  As soon as he started to speak, I knew he was one of Heavenly Father’s special souls.  He asked me what I was looking for.  He asked if I was from Salt Lake.  He asked me what calling I had in my ward.  After I had answered a slough of questions, I started to ask him some of the same questions.  I don’t remember if he answered many because suddenly he asked if he could shake my hand.  I did so gladly, taking his hand that was inside a knitted glove.  As we clasped hands he immediately leaned into me, put his other hand on my head to pull it to his.

Heavenly Father must have known that I needed to feel loved that evening.  That feeling of love overwhelmed me.  

As he stepped back, he said, “I’m glad you like special people.”

I said I liked special people, that I liked all kinds of people.  He gave me another hug.  I tried to ask him more questions and he gave me another hug.

After the third or fourth hug, he said he had to leave and said again that he was glad that special people didn’t bother me.  

As he started to walk away, I realized that I wanted to know his name, so I asked.

“My name is Glen.”

Another hug.  He started to walk away and turned back.  

“What’s your name?”

“Jarad.”

One final hug and he was gone.  He’s the one that made me feel special and was an instrument in God’s hands that night.

No comments: